Though we encourage everyone to plan ahead, the reality is that life happens whether we plan for it or not.

If your parent, spouse, or child becomes unable, you’ll need to help them with their legal, medical, and financial affairs. If they’re not able to sign a suitable power of attorney, you’ll be required to ask a Court to give you the legal authority you need. This process is known as filing a Guardianship Action.

If you’ve never been to court before, the highlights are (unfortunately) pretty much the same across the board—it’s time consuming and complicated. 

We can walk you through the entire process. We’ll help you obtain the necessary medical evaluations, prepare all of the paperwork and certifications the court requires, and represent you in the proceedings. We’ll explain each step of the way and be there to answer any questions you have.

We also provide ongoing support once the guardianship is finalized. We can help you with your reporting and accounting obligations and any follow-up proceedings needed in the future.

If it’s just too late to plan ahead, rest assured that there are still options to obtain the authority you need, and we’re here to help you get there.

Toll Free
New York